You might have noticed the title of this months Birchbox overview is a non-review. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I feel like my reviews of Birchbox haven’t been the most upbeat and this past Birchbox delivery would have been more of the same. In fact, I barely tried out any of the products this month. Most of all I was disappointed by my sample of Well Mascara.
Now, I have yet to give up on my subscription and some changes are coming to Canadian customers for November. Recently, Birchbox has now started letting customers customize their boxes a little more. A few weeks ago I had the choice of choosing one specific product guaranteed in my subscription delivery, or ordering a pre-set box. Fingers crossed that this months subscription gets me excited about the delivery service again.
So, since I’m not going to review anything from the October Birchbox, I thought I’d share some of the products I love and use on a daily basis.
1. For shampoos and conditioners I’ve been using the L’oreal Everpure system for a while now. I love that they are sulfate free. Have a sensitive scalp, these products are perfect for dealing with that. I love the rosemary mint scent and the conditioner isn’t watery like some conditioners can be. Everpure is a volumizing shampoo and conditioner, but L’oreal offers other “Ever” products for every hair type.
2. I’ll admit I’m lazy when it comes to certain things, taking off makeup is one of them. I love, love, love Philosophy’s Purity Gel 3-in-1 Cleanser. It is a gentle enough cleanser for sensitive skin, yet strong enough to take off a face full of makeup. Having sensitive, combination-oily skin, this product keeps my oily skin at bay all day long. I started out using the cream cleanser version of this, but recently switched to gel cleanser and I really like it.
3. I began using Philosophy’s Hope in a Jar at the same time I started with Purity because I bought a box set. This stuff is not cheap, so if you’re looking for a cheap moisturizer, please look elsewhere! But it’s great for all skin types and I love the way my skin feels after using it. It’s light and absorbs super quick. I noticed a change in my skin very quickly after I started using it, for the better. Word of advice, you can buy an “econo” size version of this but I don’t recommend it. Moisturizer in jars are more susceptible to contamination as they are more exposed to air and contact with your fingers which in turn can lead to degradation of the formulation and/or skin outbreaks, so you’re better off sticking to the standard size.
4. I discovered Benefits They’re Real! mascara when I received it as sample from Sephora. It took some time to adapt to the wand, but once you get the hang of it (having bristles all the way around), you’ll never look back. Two coats of this mascara is enough to give me full, long lashes that stays put all day long. It also washes off easily with Purity cleaner (no raccoon eyes here).
5. I started using Clinique All About Eyes Rich 6 years ago. Not so much because I was worried about wrinkles but because I was starting to notice that daily eye makeup wearing was causing the skin around my eyes to get dry. I truly believe using this twice a day has kept crows feet at bay. The only thing I can’t attest to is the claims for reducing circles and puffiness, but if you’re looking for a nice creamy eye cream, this is your best bet!
So there you have it, after months of mostly negative Birchbox reviews, I thought I’d share some positivity with my daily standards. Truth be told, this list could’ve been a bit longer, but we’ll save some more goodies for another day and another post.